Saturday, July 19, 2014

Rhythm of the City!

      The preferred mode of transportation in Florence is the "motorini".  I am told that they outnumber cars and bikes.  All you have to do is stand on any street corner to realize that it is true.  What I find fascinating is the give and take of the traffic.  This may sound crazy, but there is a certain rhythm to the whole system.  Because streets and sidewalks are narrow, believe it or not, there is a certain respect for giving the other the right of way.  From my window, I just watched as a bus slowed to allow a bicycle to navigate around a parked car.  No honking of horns, no frustrated "oofah"' just waited then moved on.  That may not seem like much, but in a city where everyone seems to be going somewhere in a hurry, it is refreshing to see.  The law regarding pedestrian sidewalks is very strict here.  If you step one foot into the street at a crosswalk, all mode of traffic stops.  (Mmmmm, I thought that was a law at home too!!)

Still haven't figured out where all these people go.  This is a common sight on every street in Florence. On the other side of the wall on the left is the Arno River and in the distance you can see the Ponte Vecchio...think gold jewelry!!!!

As you walk down a sidewalk, there is no stand off when coming face to face with someone, each steps aside and let's the other pass (except for tourists, they haven't figured it out yet).  Occasionally, when walking through a piazza, you hear a tiny bicycle ring and see someone (usually a well dressed older lady) navigating through the crowd to get to who knows where.  I'm not so sure I would be that courageous.  In fact, they don't even wear helmets.


I walk by this bike everyday on my way to school.  It is parked on the side of a little trattoria.  Makes me smile everytime I see it.


This is another one of those subtle things you see while walking.  At first, you think it is a traffic sign, but then a closer look indicates it is someone's idea of street art.  Really, really fun to see!  I'm not sure who does them or why the city allows them, but I'm glad they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment