Friday, September 11, 2015

Surprises!

     .
     "So, how is it you speak such good English."   Uh, because I'm American!  This was my response to a couple, who it turned out are from Vermont and winter on Ava Maria Island off the west coast of Florida every year.  They stopped me on my way out of the restaurant last night because when they were looking over the menu the wife didn't know what "chard" was, so since they were sitting at a table near me, I smiled and asked, "are you familiar with Swiss Chard, a leafy green vegetable?" Of course.....and there were smiles all around and thank you, etc.  When I was leaving, as I passed their table, they asked the above question, sure that I was Italian!!  A surprise for all of us!

      Tonight during my evening passagiata (walk),  I stopped at the Palazzo Vecchio to inquire about tickets for a digital showing of The Magnificent....."Magnificent is neither a movie, nor a documentary, nor an exhibition:  it is an emotional experience through images and sounds.  The Arm Room's  walls have been covered with big screens in order to host the digital work, turning the audio-visual performance into an emotional, immersive and all-encompassing experience!"  It is narrated by Andrea Bocelli.

     So, of course, as I entered the huge hall, there was this image of Bocelli.....

It looks like it is carved from Carrera marble and as the sign says..."it is a homage to Andrea Bocelli". Design by Marble Man and installed by Robot City.  If it's not marble you could have fooled me, but if it is, what a remarkable sculpture.  I will ask more about it tomorrow when I go to the exhibit.  

     All the guide books will tell you that, if you are not a vegetarian, you should have a Porchetta Panini while in Tuscany.  Porchetta is a "fresh ham" roasted with incredible spices.  It is thinly sliced and "sandwiched" between a split focaccia.  But, the best part, as I was to discover this evening, is that it can be prepared many different ways.  Imagine, if you will, freshly baked focaccia, spread with a mildly hot sauce, then filled with thinly sliced porchetta, with roasted zucchini, eggplant and fresh arugula.  I might add that the Porchetta is sliced fresh for each sandwich and all for 5 euro.  And to wash it all down a glass of Tuscan wine for 2 euro.  

Dare I post an image of a half eaten panini......

Of course, you realize the place had lines out the door, so there was no seating inside, but no problem..... there was room on a bench outside next to two young Australian girls, so we "dined" together.  Finding the Osteria, learning  how to order the panini and meeting an talking with the two Australian girls.....priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment